Sunday, April 15, 2012

chocolate, girl

just before easter, hubby asked me, all serious-like, if he could talk to me. he wanted to know what, exactly, i was wanting in my "easter basket." at first, i didn't understand what he was asking; or maybe why he was asking. this had never been a discussion before, let alone a "serious" discussion.

he told me that he got the impression this year that maybe i didn't really want a basket full of chocolate, which is generally what he's done for me on easters past.

that made me stop and think for a minute, because why wouldn't i want a basket full of chocolate? i mean, every year i give up chocolate for lent, and every easter i gorge on chocolate.

except that this year, i didn't want to do that. which shocked me a little bit.

maybe i'm getting older. maybe i'm getting wiser (okay, probably not). maybe i'm just learning to live in balance or moderation. whatever.

but what i apparently learned during lent is that i don't "need" chocolate the way i used to. i still love it. a lot. but i'm good with just a little. and just sometimes.

and that really, more than anything else, what i most prefer is some really, really good hot cocoa.



that makes me happier than any cookies, candy, ice cream, cake, brownie (except maybe those sea salt brownies from trader joe's. those are probably the single greatest, and most dangerous, food i have ever eaten ever) or anything else.



so in lieu of a basket full of candy, hubby got me a crocheted owl phone cover.

and a few evenings a week, when i'm sitting with ice on my knees, he heats me up some chocolate almond milk.

and it's all good.

(we'll see how long this lasts... i mean really, even i think this sounds implausible... but, hey, i'll go with it...)


*******
you capture

6 comments:

Heather said...

Love your mug! Great capture!

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

That's awesome that you're finding that balance. I'm envious - I still totally have the capacity to gorge! :) But what I love even more is that he noticed enough to ask what you'd prefer. That's a good man you got there. :)

Rhen @Yes, they are all mine said...

You know, there really is very little that is as nice as snuggling with a cup of real hot cocoa and enjoying the moment. :)

Lyndsay said...

I feel a bit 're-set' after Lent too. I haven't eaten as much junk as normal. And I'm hoping it sticks for a while at least.

Stillmary said...

When I saw the subject for this week's You Capture, I thought of you and you did not disappoint. If fact for the first time EVER I'm craving hot chocolate. What a great post!

Imelda said...

As I read your post, I could not help but be reminded of our own situation here which is quite similar: husband prepares Easter basket, I tell my husband not to give me much chocolate; husband prepares hot cocoa.

We both have sweeter stuff than chocolate. :-)

I like your mug shots...no pun intended. :-))