Monday, July 5, 2010

let it snow. except that it's summer.

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow shuffled in yesterday. And I stopped what I was doing to sit down and listen.

By the time it was over, I was itching to get out the Christmas tree and build a snow man.

Except that it's July and elevently million degrees outside so I can't really do that right now.

But I want to.

I am such a Winter Girl. And I am waiting for the first snowfall of the year. Already.

Summer is nice. I really do like it. I get to spend lots of time doing fun things like riding my bike and hiking. And being outside (without 15 minutes of getting layered to go outside). And I can spend all kinds of time reading. And watching the flowers grow.

But Winter? Snow? Just the thought sends a little thrill through me.

I wait all year for the first snowfall. I stop what I'm doing to watch. Each and every year. I swear it's magical, that moment when a raindrop transcends the plainness of itself and becomes a snowflake. Every raindrop is exactly alike, but when those drops of rain turn to flakes of snow? No two are the same. Magic.


I am content, happy even, to wait patiently. To linger through the heat and freedom of summer. To wander though the color and crispness of fall.

But, always in the back of my mind, I am waiting for the day I can put on a sweater and boots and go play in the snow.

Sigh...

**********

tell it to me tuesdays

4 comments:

Bacardi Mama said...

I love winter till about March and then I'm ready for it to be over. I love snow too. I think it is magic! Love you.

Corinne Cunningham said...

I think you and I are on the same page today ;)
(and fold over skirts? Brilliant! I need to pick some up... the only ones I have were from my pregnancies and thankfully they don't fit!)

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

Awesome! So creative! I think I'm a summer girl though (with the one caveat that I LOVE fall fashion and jackets). I can appreciate winter, especially cozied up with a fire, a cup of tea, and a good book. But otherwise, winter is just so much effort with the layering and the snow shoveling and the rain. Plus, I just hate being cold. We'll see though. After Thailand, I might just be desperate for some winter!

Heart2Heart said...

Oh how I wish it were much cooler if not down right snowy here. We waited for it this year but it never really stayed. Thanks for a cool thought however.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat