Wednesday, January 21, 2009

President

I watched all of the inauguration coverage yesterday, from the time the Obamas walked out of church until the end of the Neighborhood Ball. And I couldn't help but feel happy the whole time. Quite a feat since I was at work for most of it, and that place tends to make me cranky. But I just feel like, for the first time in I can't remember how long, things will be okay. Not, like, right away or anything. But eventually. Like there's really someone who will actually do something; actually try to make things better, get things right. I really believe that. It's an odd feeling to have about a politician. But I have it about our new president. And judging by the reactions of crowds around the world yesterday, I'm not the only one.

It's funny, because, for me, the history of it was secondary to the relief I feel. But it is awfully good to be around for something "good" historic!

Isn't it a good feeling? Hope. Possibility. Faith. Belief. Like we can all start to breathe again.

No comments: