Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Smile Songs

There are certain songs that will always, always make me smile. No matter what kind of mood I'm in (or what kind of mood I go back to when the song is over). I heard three of them in a row on the way home from work today. Maybe God just knew I needed it. Anyway... Here is the top 15 songs that always make me smile.

1. Anything by U2
2. Anything by REM
(No, saying "anything by" is not cheating. I checked the rules)
3. Southern Cross - either Crosby, Stills, Nash or Jimmy Buffett (equally good)
4. Love You Inside Out - The Bee Gees (LOVE them!!)
5. Just Like Jesse James - Cher (it turns out I sound JUST LIKE Cher!!)
6. Proud Mary - Tina Turner (ask me about Tina sometime....)
7. I Fought the Law - The Clash (the only band that matters, you know)
8. Lust for Life - Iggy Pop (I heart Iggy)
9. Prove It All Night - Bruce Springsteen (I saw him from the front row. He held my hand. I touched Clarence's shoe. It was a good night.)
10. Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard (that's when I'm immediately in 6th grade again.... probably at a sock hop.... that I'd had to plan because I was on the "service committee" even though I wanted to be on the decoration committee.... but I'm totally over it.... not bitter at all)
11. Pump It Up - Elvis Costello and the Attractions (makes me run a little faster, too)
12. Crystal Village - Pete Yorn (there's a waiter at my favorite restaurant that looks just like Pete. Really.)
13. Viva La Vida - Coldplay (made me cry the first time I heard it, that whole "I know St. Peter will call my name")
14. I'm Alive - Jackson Browne ( I met him. Actually, he saved me from being crushed by a drunk woman who was attempting to go through me to get to him. And he was so devastatingly beautiful all I could get out was "um.... ah.... thank you....")
15. My Sweet Lord - George Harrison (I treat this one like a prayer, actually)