Tuesday, March 30, 2010

for the girls

So, the tell it to me tuesday challenge this week was to write a letter to the nation's daughters. How am I supposed to do that? How am I supposed to dispel advice to young girls when most of the time I feel like I can't get it together myself? When, quite often, I don't feel like I know much of anything?

I know there are things I wish I could figure out, that I hope all those young girls that I see every day can manage to figure out. Like how to really, truly love yourself. To really, truly accept yourself. To not look at yourself in the mirror and see all the wrong and none of the right. I want you girls to be able to do that.

I hope you take the time to know who you actually are, what you believe in, what you stand for, what's important to you, before you make any major life commitments. And, oh how I hope you take the time to live for yourselves before you commit to others.

I so want for you to be strong enough to stick to your beliefs, even when they're challenged (especially if they're challenged!). But please don't be afraid to look at other options, and if one of those is more right for you, take it. But please change only for yourself, and not because someone else thinks you should.

Remember that if someone loves you, they accept you just as you are. Remember that if you love someone, you accept them as they are. You don't have to change yourself. (But you might have to compromise sometimes. That's not the same thing.)

And please, please remember that you are not the only one living here on this planet. There are so many others. Do what you can to help.

Give back.

Take care.

Live simply.

Love.

8 comments:

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

This is such a beautiful letter! I don't think any of us have it all figured out. But I guess that is what the journey is for...and that's what keeps life interesting. At every stage you discover something new. And more questions you hadn't thought of before... :)

Heart2Heart said...

I think you have more than adequately captured the essence of what we would all want our daughters to hear.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Corinne Cunningham said...

I think every grown woman should be reminded of exactly what you wrote to the girls :)
Beautifully done.

Lyndsay said...

You made me cry!!! There is so much I still need to figure out...

Kirsten said...

I love this. It seems that our main thoughts of being true to yourself and respecting others is what is important.

No Longer 25 said...

So many important points here, I particularly see the importance of changing for yourself not for others and remembering you're not he only thing on the planet - what a lovely post.

I got out of this a bit as I had a post I wanted to do on Tuesday anyway which slightly fitted.

Have a lovely day,
Jade

~L said...

Thank you for the reminders!
~L

Anonymous said...

i have read this post over and over and think it is beautiful. i will make sure your goddaughters have a copy of this and i hope that i can instill these values in them. well said my friend!