Sunday, November 20, 2011

something fun (in air quotes)

It was recently suggesting that I be part of a large group of people who all get together to do "something fun."

Everyone in the group is someone I love dearly. (Do you feel the "but" coming here?)

But...

When I think of doing "something fun," I think of one of these scenarios:

  • Going running
  • Going hiking
  • Going biking
  • Going somewhere that serves warm beverages and good food, and people talk in quiet voices
  • Sitting on the couch to watch a movie (although I'm super picky about what movies I'll watch)
  • Going to the movies (although I'm super picky about what movies I'll watch. oh, wait....)
  • Sitting in my chair with a book and a cup of tea and no one bothering me
  • Sleeping

The time frame on all of these things is the same:

  • morning
  • afternoon
  • gets me home before 7:30
  • (except sleeping... I'll do that whenever.)

This does not put me in the majority, I know.

And it does not mean that I don't like to see my friends and family and such. I do.

And it does not mean that I'm not open to doing other things. I am.

But sometimes I feel like people think that I'm supposed to just think that their version of fun is fun for me, too. That I'm supposed to just say "yes" because that's what the majority wants to do.

But I've come to a place in life where I'd rather say "no" than do something I don't want to do. So that's what I do. I say no.

I think this annoys/angers/baffles some people.

I'm not opposed to doing things outside of my limited list of preferences. Really. But I'd like a little give and take, you know? I'd like the people who want me to have their fun to meet me in the middle once in awhile, you know? I don't think I should be the only one to step out of my comfort/happy zone. I'm sure we could figure out something.

But it doesn't generally work that way. I mean, my friends (all five of them) understand my quirks and the reasons for them. Plus they're pretty like-minded. And willing to work with me. But I often get the feeling that the general population is not open to suggestions (even on my birthday).

Sigh...

4 comments:

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

Oh man, one of my best ideas of girl fun involves a weekend morning in PJs (i.e. yoga pants), a favorite movie, baked goods and warm mugs. I wish we could have a girl date.

Kirsten said...

I'm glad you have friends who do get you. But yes, the majority of the population has a different view on fun than us introverts. I've learned to say no too. Sometimes it's fun to go out and do something different, but only rarely.

Lyndsay said...

Hey! Let's go DANCING!
Just kidding. I'd rather sit on your couch with you and drink tea. We can read, or just talk in our quite voices.

InTheFastLane said...

Your idea of fun sounds great to me.
This might also be why the Mr. and I might become hermits when we grow up.