Sunday, October 18, 2009

Being a grown up kind of sucks sometimes.

So, when I was a kid, I used to play grown up all. the. time. I'd have a grown up imaginary name (usually something like Kristi) and a grown up imaginary husband (who was usually someone like Rick Springfield or Shaun Cassidy) and a grown up job (generally reporter or teacher) and a grown up imaginary car (it was usually red) and on and on. And I could. not. wait. to actually be a grown up.

Now I'm here. And I'd kind of like to go back. Just for a little bit, even. Because being a grown up can really kind of suck sometimes.

It's full of difficult decisions that have no real right or wrong answer, and that will wind up with some kind of unpleasant consequence no matter what you do.

And it's full of physical aches and pains that have no real cause or reason for being.

And it's full of emotional aches and pains that might not ever really go away no matter what you do.

And sometimes when you have to do what's right for yourself, it's not right for someone else, and they just don't understand. But you have to do it anyway.

And there are impossible decisions that have to be made, and you're the only one who can make them.

And sometimes it would be nice to go back in time to a place when my biggest decision was whether to wear the hot pink stirrup pants or the jeans with the zippers at the ankles. Just for a little bit.

3 comments:

InTheFastLane said...

Oh the stirrup pants...I am glad that I don't have to decide whether to wear those anymore. But, there are LOTS of other decisions that I wish I didn't have to make. We wish and wish for independence and then we get it, and it is not all it is cracked up to be.

Hang in there.

Bacardi Mama said...

It does kinda suck sometimes, but it does have its good moments too. Sorry you're have some rough decision making now. I'm here if I can help. Love you!

Lyndsay said...

Jelly shoes or desert boots? Family Ties or Growing Pains?

Life IS hard sometimes. And that's when we eat chocolate.