Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sometimes I....

Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed that I forget how to breathe. And I just stand there, gasping, trying desperately to remember how to get oxygen into my lungs. Hoping that it will just magically happen.

I can feel my heart start to race, but I can't make it slow down. I can feel the back of my neck begin to bead with perspiration, but I am powerless to make it stop.

Everything about me begins to tighten and constrict and I am afraid that I will be crushed from within.

Sometimes I just stop. I can't move. I can barely think. Except to hope that this passes as soon as possible.

And I can get on with my life again.

*****

tell it to me tuesdays

8 comments:

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

Oh honey...I know just how that feels. When I'm stressed, I grit my teeth and hold my breath and don't even realize I'm doing it until my jaw begins to ache and my lungs clamor for air. I hope the "sometimes" are few and far between.

InTheFastLane said...

Anxiety! I know that feeling.

Ariadne said...

I am sorry that you feel this way, but am awed and thankful for the incredible way you express it. Sometimes reading your blog feels like you are writing about me! It is such a relief to know I am not alone.

Lyndsay said...

Awful feeling isn't it? I go from feeling like I'll be crushed from within to bawling my head off.... my response to just about any type of psychological distress.

Kirsten said...

One of the worst feelings.

koreen (aka: winn) said...

I hate anxiety attacks... makes life really difficult. Yes, it does seem like all you can do is wait it out and hopefully get on with your life. So true.

Stacia said...

Yes.

Sarah said...

I can SO relate. I'm sorry.