Wednesday, December 15, 2010

the north pole, but a little further south

Every year, just after Thanksgiving, packages that I didn't order start arriving on my doorstep. Initially, it freaks me out - a package sitting on my porch, addressed to me, when I know I did not order anything from Target (at least, not lately). But then I giggle a little and grin and realize that, no, I didn't order it. Best Friend ordered it. And it's a Christmas present for one of her two girls.

I love that. I love that all the Christmas gifts for my goddaughters start out at my house. I love that Best Friend and I will talk in code about what has arrived or has yet to arrive. I love opening the boxes and seeing what will make those girls smile on Christmas morning. I love that they have no clue that this happens. And I will love, when they are older, telling them the stories about how my house was, in fact, their North Pole.

3 comments:

InTheFastLane said...

That is so fun! And what a great idea....

Lyndsay said...

That's fun!

Anonymous said...

it made me teary to think about telling them when they are older...i just want to freeze them where they are! it's so much fun when they are little. thanks for being my 'north pole'!!!