Sunday, December 12, 2010

party on

I don't like parties. I don't like gatherings. I don't like large groups of people.

I just don't.

I'm in the minority on this. I know that. Especially in my little corner of the world.

I'm surrounded by people who like to gather and party and be a large group of people. Often. Maybe even as much as possible.

I shouldn't even say I don't like parties. Sometimes they're nice. Occasionally. Once in awhile. But not all the time.

Because I also like time to not have to go to a party or gather with a large group of people. Sometimes out of necessity, as in there is so much other stuff that needs to be done (whether at work, at home, whatever) that there just isn't time to cram in another thing. Sometimes out of lack of desire, as in I am just not in the mood to be around a large group of people and I want some (gasp!) time that's quite and/or mine.

Sometimes it's nice to be able to miss people. To wonder what they've been up to, how they're doing. It makes it nice to see those people again, to gather with them and sit and talk and eat and whatever.

But sometimes there's just too much togetherness. (I don't have to wonder what you've been up to because I just saw you....) And then it doesn't feel like fun to gather with people I love and care about. It becomes another on a long list of obligations. And that's not fun at all.

Is that a scrooge-ish sentiment? Maybe. Probably.

But I feel it, all the same.


(I will most likely be tarred and feathered for saying all of this.)

4 comments:

Corinne Cunningham said...

It's not a scrooge'ish sentiment... I completely agree (surprise surprise ;)) Sometimes I feel like an odd ball because I don't mind sitting at home all weekend long, or being with just our little family of four. It takes all kinds...

Kirsten said...

No tarring and feathering from me! I don't get together with people much so I'm okay with a decent gathering of people - not more than 15 people. Otherwise I grab a drink and a seat and meld into the background. But that's how most of my gatherings are - booze and relaxation.

Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

I'm not big into huge parties either. I find them tiring usually. But I am pretty social and I love to entertain people at our place. But usually it's just another couple that we're friends with, or maybe 4 or 5 friends together. That's more my speed. Then you can relax, enjoy food and drink together, really talk about what's going on, without so much other distraction going on. That's me, anyway.

InTheFastLane said...

That sounds very familiar ;) And occasionally, I like to get together with small groups of people, not parties of people. And I like to do it sometimes...not always.